For a comprehensive history of Colgate Men’s Rugby, please visit the CURFC History section of this website by clicking HERE.
These will be updated with invites/links soon, but we are planning the following:
- October 1, 2016: Homecoming Weekend
- January, 2017: Third annual cocktail event in NYC at the Union League Club
- April, 2017: Alumni Weekend featuring Colgate Sevens Tournament and Alumni Game
- June ,2017: 50th Anniversary Reunion Extravaganza
The Colgate Rugby Alumni Association was created in 2004 by Greg Stevenson ’04 to support the sport at Colgate. In 2015, after several years of collaboration with the Athletics Department, Rec Sports and Alumni Relations, interested alums and parents formed a board and renamed the organization the “Colgate Rugby Alliance.” This title better reflects our mission, which is to support Colgate Rugby by doing the following:
- Fundraising in support of short-term needs and planning and/or campaigning in support of long-term goals, as agreed upon by Colgate Rec Sports and Office of Advancement;
- Planning events and networking opportunities in coordination with the University, Rec Sports, Alumni Relations, the Athletic Department, and the coach(es); and
- Building and maintaining the enthusiasm and general support of Colgate Rugby alumni, parents, and other friends of the programs.
For more information please contact us at email@example.com.
President – Matthew Hansen ’02
Vice-President – James Sowers ’73
Fundraising – Mike Tone ’06 & Andrew Thomas ’94 (co-chairs)
Secretary – Mick Danahy ’11
Parent Rep – Linda Murphy ’81 P’16
Alumni Player Rep – Matt Ford ’13
Rugby Alumni Liaison – Graham Rieser ’13
At-Large Members – Ed McGuinn Jr. ’73, Jack Donnelly ’80, Kevin Danehy ’83, Mark Reed ’00, John Baclawski ’07, Andrew Schlenger ’12, Alex Heller ’13, Tyler Swiggett ’13
Committees: Events, Communications, Fundraising, Mentoring/Networking
Colgate Men’s Rugby benefits from two endowments, established by generous alumni and their families to support rugby at the school. We are willing to discuss additional endowment gifts – interested alumni may contact Brian Grady, Assistant Athletic Director for Advancement at firstname.lastname@example.org or Coach Chapman at email@example.com
Blume Endowment Fund for Rugby
How you can help:
– Are you a youth rugby coach or administrator? Did you attend a high school with a rugby club? Do you live in a country with rugby players interested in studying in the U.S.? Link Coach Chapman (firstname.lastname@example.org) in with your youth rugby contacts to make sure academically qualified players consider Colgate as one of only a few liberal arts schools with a combination of elite academics and highly competitive rugby club.
– Want to get involved with the CRA? Contact us at email@example.com. We need Class Reps to help us stay in touch with old boys, compile information about the club’s history, advise Colgate on rugby-related issues, and set and pursue our long-term goals.
– Want to contribute to our annual budget, or make a special contribution to an international tour fund or a bigger budget item (e.g. a new scrum sled, jerseys, or something even bigger like improvements to the pitch)? Contact Coach Chapman (firstname.lastname@example.org) and us at email@example.com to discuss your ideas!
– Have old Colgate rugby gear in the back of your closet, that certainly still fits but needs to go anyway? Have copies of Colgate tour or tournament programs, photos, or other historical information? Contact the CRAA at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have a board member whose role is compiling and preserving this historical information!